Myles Braithwaite

Why do we need SEO?

Today I received the following email:

From: Petr ******* - File Extensions Resource <****.*******@file-extensions.xxx>
Date: July 15, 2009 3:38:49 PM GMT-04:00
To: me@mylesbraithwaite.com
Subject: Site suggestion - File extension library


Hello,
can you please add a link to our website File-Extensions.xxx at your page http://mylesbraithwaite.com as a useful computer file extensions resource?

Our site URL: http://xxx.xxxx-xxxxxxxxx.xxx/
Large file extension list and file types resource site.

Detailed site description: A huge file extension list including easy-to-understand descriptions and associated applications. Quickly search by extension, view common and most popular file extensions, and click to extension categories including audio and music files, multimedia, graphic and image file types and others.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks a lot

Petr
File-Extensions.xxx

I took a look at the email headers and found this X-Mailer: LinkAssistant (http://www.link-assistant.xxx). A quick web lookup brought up an application called LinkAssistant and one of the features is:

Quickly address all partners in personalized emails.
Professional SEOs know how to approach owners of high-PR websites, ask them for a link and have huge chances to get it. You’re even smarter with LinkAssistant. You will quickly find hundreds of relevant high-quality websites, instantly send out piles of personal link requests and convince site owners to link to you.

I am not a fan of SEO but this is just crossing a line. A lot of people more intelligent than me have weigh in one this topic but I am going to reiterate one idea: If you write good content Google will index your site and give you a high page ranking.

90% of SEO is simple rules for building clean HTML. The other 10% is that SEOs are really just life coaches who need to transform their clients into something awesome that people actually care about. What you really need to optimize for is being awesome. And that’s a bit harder than pulling some SEO out of your magic bag of tricks.

Read this next
You might enjoy